We love Mexican food and these burrito bowls can be served in a number of different ways. Our favourites include added rice soaked in lime and coriander or using grilled tortilla wraps to dip and scoop up all of those Mexican flavours!
|Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless||3 each||3 each|
|Bell peppers, sliced||3 each||3 each|
|Red onion, large, sliced||1 each||1 each|
|Olive oil||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Taco seasoning||1 Tbsp||15 mL|
|Salt||½ tsp||7 mL|
|Pepper||½ tsp||7 mL|
|Salsa||1 jar||1 jar|
|Brown rice, cooked||3 cups||750 mL|
|Black beans, drained & rinsed||1 can||1 can|
|Corn||1 can||1 can|
|Cheddar cheese, shredded||1 cup||250 mL|
|Lime, wedged||1 each||1 each|
|Cilantro, fresh||½ cup||125 mL|
- Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chicken, peppers, and onions onto the baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Salt and pepper the peppers and onions, tossing to coat.
- Top each chicken breast with a generous pour of salsa.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Rest chicken for 10 minutes, before slicing into strips.
- Add a base of brown rice to 6 food storage containers. Top each with a scoop of black beans, corn, additional salsa, cheddar cheese, cooked peppers and onions, and sliced chicken. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.
- Store in the refrigerator (and enjoy any extras immediately). Can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Meal-prep FTW! Enjoy!
BEEF STEW (SLOW COOKER)
Alright we know we’re approaching summer and this meal could be a little heavy but you have to admit it’s just so good AND it could serve the whole family so if you’ve got kids or plenty of mouths to feed, this is a winner.
|Beef chuck roast, fat-trimmed, chopped||2 lbs||2 lbs|
|Carrots, medium, chopped||3 each||3 each|
|Celery, chopped||2 each||2 each|
|Onion, medium, chopped||1 cup||250 mL|
|Thyme, dried||2 tsp||10 mL|
|Rosemary, dried||1 tsp||5 mL|
|Bay leaf||1 each||1 each|
|Salt||½ tsp||2.5 mL|
|Pepper, black||½ tsp||2.5 mL|
|Pearled barley||½ cup||125 mL|
|Beef broth||7 cups||1.75 L|
- Label a gallon-size freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and “use-by” date.
- Combine all ingredients (except beef broth) in the plastic freezer bag, adding the beef to the bag last so it’s the first ingredient poured into the crockpot.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze up to 3 months.
- When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in a bowl of cold water.
- To prepare: Add bag contents to crockpot with beef broth and cook on “low” setting for 8 hours or until carrots are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and enjoy!
Makes 6 servings ( 504 g /serving). 1 serving = ~2 cups
KALE TURKEY BURGERS
Burgers don’t have to be DIRTY. Homemade, high protein, high fibre, beautiful. Serve with homemade small roasted potatoes crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and you’re good to go.
|Ground Turkey||2 lbs||909 g|
|Kale, finely chopped||3 cups||750 mL|
|Egg, large||1 each||1 each|
|Worcestershire sauce||4 Tbsp||60 mL|
|Garlic powder||1 Tbsp||15 mL|
|Onion powder||2 tsp||10 mL|
|Thyme, dried||1 tsp||5 mL|
|Rosemary, dried||½ tsp||3 mL|
|Dijon mustard||3 Tbsp||45 mL|
|Salt||1 tsp||5 mL|
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients with your hands.
- Form into 8 patties of uniform size.
- Place into a non-stick grill or barbeque that has been sprayed with olive oil and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes on the one side.
- Turn over, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until center is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
- Serve alone or on a whole-wheat bun (additional calories) with a side of 2-3 servings of vegetables.
Makes 8 servings (160g /serving).
Recipies courtesy of Nutrition RX https://nutritionrx.ca/recipes/